Documents relating to the NCWC and NCWCEF Water/Energy Project:
The powerpoint presentation by Andrew Nikiforuk at the Annual Meeting of the National Council of Women of Canada in Prince Albert Myth of Abundance. This presentation reviews the connection between water and energy in a striking way, as the ratio of water use to energy extraction in the Tar Sands is 3 to 1. His book, “Tar Sands: Dirty Oil and the Future of the Content” is recommended reading.
A Presentation by Ralph Pentland which is quite informative and would be a good resouce for those interested in water issues. Ths was a presentation at the Midwestern Legislative Conference, Toronto, 9 August, 2010.
Brief to the to the House of Commons Standing Committee on Environment and Sustainable Development Re the Oil Sands and Water Resources 31st of August, 2009.
Highlights of the Water /Energy Project are :
- 2008 AGM in Ottawa – Launch of the project with luncheon speaker Ralph Pentland, author of the Federal government’s 1987 Water Policy, who spoke on “21st Century Energy and Water Policies” and an afternoon panel of energy/water experts and advocates e.g. Tony Maas, Senior Freshwater Policy Advisor, World Wild Life Fund . Other speakers included John Jackson, Director of Clean Production, Great Lakes United and Dr. Gordon Edwards, President, Canadian Coalition for Nuclear Responsibility.
- 6 quarterly newsletters circulated to our many members across Canada; and available hereThe seventh edition January, 2011;
The sixth edition February, 2010;
the fifth edition Fall of 2009;
the fourth edition Summer 2009;
the third edition Spring 2009;
the second edition Winter 2008;
and the the first edition Fall 2008.
- 10-15 Common Programs held by Local and Provincial Councils of Women over the two year period, with financial help from the Grant, to provide expert speakers on a variety of water/energy issues – target audience the public, affiliated member groups, the press
- A survey on personal water/energy use sent out to 3000 Canadians (and now on the web) and a report to Federal government with recommendations
- Regular flash sheets and articles by the Project Co-ordinator, Researcher and outside expert advisors such as John Jackson and Ralph Pentland (and others) on web site and in newslette