Since it’s founding in 1894 the Local Council of Women of Halifax has been instrumental in many community developments. The Council has served as a focal point over the years for groups striving for better conditions in the community, and through the National Council of Women of Canada, for improvements in the country at large.
Other women’s groups today have taken over much of what Local Councils pioneered. In Halifax it still maintains a presence, meeting at the Council House donated by philanthropist and developer George Wright in 1913. The Council House has recently been declared a Heritage Property.
The Halifax Council have also prepared and presented a brief in response to proposed changes to the Environment Act, Nova Scotia legislation on May 2nd, 2000; submitted a resolution for consideration to NCWC at the AGM in June 2001 on Quality End of Life Care, in support of the work by the Senate Committee Chair, Senator Sharon Carstairs.
For information about joining the LCWH, please contact Sandra McLennan at email@example.com.