Topics of Interest to NCWC
NCWC is concerned about many issues that are of interest to and/or affect women. This section will include articles on various topics, some written by our members and others from other sources. Click on the links in blue to view a document.
Visit our Communications section to review NCWC’s work on Policy, Briefs and Correspondence to various governments, Press Releases, Reports, Statements our Newsletters and documents from organizations such as UN Women.
1. “Update on Polygamy Case in British Columbia,” by Karen Monnon Dempsey, President, National Council of Women of Canada, November 2015.
2. “Who is Meeting the Needs of the Older People and Persons with Disabilities in War-Torn Syria?” by Thelma A. McGillivray, MSW, Member of Provincial Council of Women of Ontario, November 2015.
3. “Why do Organizations Flouish or Flounder?” by Sandra Cohen-Rose, Vice President, Public Relations, National Council Women of Canada (2015-2016), and Past President, Montreal Council of Women (2006-2008; 2011-2013)
4. Nuclear Non-Proliferation letter to Prime Minister Harper by Karen Monnon Dempsey, President, National Council of Women of Canada, November 2015. (Also found under section Communications/Government/Correspondence 2015.
5. Canada falling behind on gender equality, by Christie McLeod, April 9, 2015: Winnipeg Free Press on the NCWC session at the Canadian Status of Women: Christie McLeod is the executive assistant at Mondetta Charity Foundation. For more information on this issue, check out the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternative’s report, Progress on Women’s Rights: Missing in Action. A Shadow Report on Canada’s Implementation of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action. Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition April 9, 2015 A13.
6. Report on Health, Social Development and Seniors & Youth, by Sheila Pepper, Vice President, Social Development, National Council of Women of Canada, March 2016.
7. Report on Law Conference at Dalhousie University – Access to Justice in Contemporary Canada, by Karen Monnon Dempsey, President, NCWC, March 2016
8. What can NCWC do to Help Comfort Women and their Lengthy Struggle for Justice from the Japanese Government?, by Thelma McGillvray, VP, Status of Women, NCWC, March 2016
9. Mental Health and the Workplace, by Gisele Saurette-Roch, Convenor, Employment & Economy, March 2016
10. Program on the Basic Income Guarantee – AKA The Big Push, by Gracia Janes, Social Justice Convenor, St. Catharines & District Council of Women, March 2016
11. Letter 20161212 Letter to Prime Minister Trudeau Nuclear Non-Proliferation by Karen Monnon Dempsey, President, NCWC, December 2016 See article by CBC News/Health, “Weapons-grade nuclear waste shipments to US prompt outcry”, September 05, 2016, with comments by NCWC’s Gracia Janes, Niagara-on-the-Lake resident, activist and President of NCWC Education Fund.
12. Letter 20161212 Solitary Confinement in Prisons by Karen Monnon Dempsey, President, NCWC, December 2016
14. Celebrating World Water Day, POLIS Project on Ecological Governance, University of Victoria, Spring 2017 E-News
15. BRICS Feminist Watch NDB needs a Gender Policy, an external Gender Advisory Committee and an Internal Gender Unit
16. Sexual Harassment named Canadian Press News Story of the Year https://globalnews.ca/news/3926922/sexual-harassment-canadian-press-story/
18. Engagement in the National Council of Women of Canada: An Analytical Perspective, prepared by Wilfrid Laurier University Students under Dr Andrea Perrella, Director, Political Science Department Wilfrid Laurier University, December 7, 2017.
19. Women’s Suffrage in Canada, Historica Canada
20. Polis Project on Ecological Governance, watersustainabilityproject, University of Victoria, Centre for Global Studies POLIS Water Sustainability Project – Fall 2017 News
21. Gender Based Violence – Promising Practices to Support Survivors and their Families: Call for Concepts to Address Gender-Based Violence in Canada
22. Homelessness Forum at the St. Catharines Centennial Library, January 10, 2018 – Large Attendance at Homelessness Forum
23. History of NCWC: Engagement in the National Council of Women of Canada: An Analytical Perspective
24. Women and Poverty, Canadian Research Institute for the Advancement of Women, CRIAW Fact Sheet
25. Female Genital Mutilation practices going on in Canada – “New citizenship guide to warn against ‘abhorrent’ practice of female genital mutilation,” Kathleen Harris, CBC News, Jan 25, 2018
27. Handbook for Water Champions: Strengthening Decision-Making and Collaboration for Healthy Watersheds (a practical guide for local groups, collaborative organizations and Indigenous and Crown governments seeking to better understand watershed governance.
Downloading or Printing Documents
If you wish to download or print articles, click on the PDF or Printer icons shown below. Then right click on your mouse and a menu will open up. Choose the options “Save as” or “Print” and follow the instructions.